[Sigia-l] Avoiding alienating existing users upon redesign

Jeff Lash jeff at jefflash.com
Mon Feb 2 20:54:11 EST 2004

How can a site implement a significant redesign without alienating existing
users?

A large subscription-based site has a significant number of users, many of
whom have been paying customers for several years without any major design
changes. Though the site is successful, there are several significant
usability issues that need to be addressed, as well as changes from the
business perspective. How can we successfully improve the site and expand
our user base while keeping our current users (who are notoriously fickle
about even the smallest of changes)?

I'm aware of the arguments against a major relaunch
--> http://www.uie.com/Articles/quiet_death_of_relaunch.htm
and will certainly make the case for that, but assuming there is going to be
a major re-launch, how can it be done?

I would especially appreciate any publicly-available articles, case studies,
or similar materials that deal with this issue, so that I may pass them on
to others working on the project. Specifically, if there is a list of what
things can be done
- before the redesign
- during the redesign
- after the redesign
to make the impact as minimal as possible, that would be excellent. (Things
like beta testing to a random sample, announcements that a change is coming,
new-site tour, etc...)

Good resources I've already found:
--> http://tinyurl.com/34bvj (Computerworld.com article)
--> http://www.ezrc.hud.gov/library/bookshelf15/redesigningexistingsite.cfm