[Sigia-l] Avoiding alienating existing users upon redesign

Samantha Bailey a2slb at bellsouth.net
Mon Feb 2 23:01:15 EST 2004

PS-I've read the articles as well, but personally I prefer the major
redesign if there are enough issues to warrant it. And the reality is that a
web site that has been growing organically, particularly in a distributed
environment, is likely to be something of a mess after a few years, even if
there's a great team with a solid vision. Entropy is a powerful force.

It's great to be continually improving the site, but when there are
significant structural issues you often wind up putting on band-aids when
you approach the redesign in a piecemeal fashion. Major redesigns are
painful (for the design team and to some degree for users) but they can also
produce significant improvements that can't necessarily be achieved any
other way.

 Also, doing the redesign as a major effort helps the team really focus and
arguable leads to a more cohesive finished product because the design
approach can be more unified.

Samantha Bailey
samantha at baileysorts.com | http://baileysorts.com