[Sigia-l] Avoiding alienating existing users upon redesign

Samantha Bailey a2slb at bellsouth.net
Mon Feb 2 22:56:12 EST 2004

I participated in a major redesign a couple years ago; the situation you
describe is a hard one as it is virtually impossible to avoid alienating
some users--people resist change, even when the usability tests show that
the design is improved. The two things I would advise (and would have done
differently "had I known then") would be:

1) make sure that stakeholders and business folks have been warned about
attrition and alienation after a redesign so that they don't panic. Our
satisfaction scores plummeted and we had a big bounce in calls to the call
center for about 2-3 weeks after the redesign--and it took a good 6-8 weeks
for our metrics to rebound. But then they picked up dramatically--once
people got used to the new design they reported liking it much better.
Because our stakeholders internally weren't well prepared for the dip,
though, we had to really work to keep folks from panicking and there were
calls to revert to some of our old conventions.

2) Announce the redesign plans on the homepage a couple weeks prior and give
a short tour demonstrating new features. I don't know if this really works
or not, but we decided not to do this because I really didn't think it was
necessary and after launch I regretted that we hadn't given our regular user
base some warning in case that would have helped reduce some of the anxiety.

Our redesign experience overall was really positive--and the site has been
very successful despite what felt like a bumpy start.

Good luck!

Samantha Bailey
samantha at baileysorts.com | http://baileysorts.com