[Sigia-l] Suggesting a site to Yahoo

Stewart Dean stew8dean at hotmail.com
Sun Dec 12 18:04:32 EST 2004

Mike,

In my view the biggest enemy to the user experience is not designers trying
to impress their friends, and it's not a technical teams who are insensitive
to user needs.  The biggest enemy I find are business models - the constant
drive to performance and targets - often at the expense of long term
perfomance.

In the case of Yahoo the drive to registration is one of their metrics - and
as they view that being included on Yahoo is a perk - they will use this as
a drive to registration.

So they get more registrations - short term goal achived.

Long term their seach engine suffers a bit - but then Yahoo isnt really
about search anymore because they moved themselves into the portal market
leaving space for the likes of google. Yahoo moved themselves to where the
money was - and where everyone else is trying to compete (such as msn).

Meanwhile Google, so far, have kept things much simpler and user focused -
because that what matters in the long term and it works.  Or at least that's
what I believed until I saw the mess they made of their newgroup browsing
interface - version 2 of  google groups.

Stew