[compute] Re: [Sigia-l] IA research?

Tom Trottier tOM at Abacurial.com
Mon Apr 26 16:16:03 EDT 2004

OK, how about some hypotheses to prove or disprove?
EG: There is an ideal complexity for an entity.

tOM

On Monday, April 26, 2004 at 15:28,
Listera <listera at rcn.com> wrote:

> "Peter VanDijck" wrote:
> > It's not so much about "couldn't solve". It's about better ways of
> > understanding the problems, and better ways of attacking them.
>
> OK, I'll rephrase: what problem(s) have you not been able to better
> understand and attack?
>
> > if IA doesn't become more research-driven (I mean *basic* research, not the
> > practical user research you do when doing a project), it risks becoming
> > obsolete.
>
> Leaving aside the contentious issue of whether IA is a profession or not,
> your implicit assumption is on shaky grounds. Professions that are not
> driven by researchism (like writing, design and photography) are thriving
> while those that are driven by it (like artificial intelligence, speech and
> visualization) seem to have gone nowhere. I'm not drawing a 1:1 conclusion
> here, but simply pointing out the fallacy of researchism as a necessary
> predictor.
>
> > A few rules of thumb and borrowed concepts don't make a profession.
>
> Neither, apparently, reams of paper. :-)
>
> Ziya
> Nullius in Verba

------- Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur -------
   ,__@	tOM Trottier +1 613 231-6115
 _-\_<,		758 Albert St.,Ottawa ON Canada K1R 7V8
(*)/'(*)		N45.412 W75.714