[Sigia-l] HCIL's Spring Seminar Series - Gary Marchionini 4/27/04

Kollet, Sharmon sharmon at cs.umd.edu
Tue Apr 20 15:56:05 EDT 2004

HCIL Friends,

Gary Marchionini from the University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill will be our next invited speaker as part of our HCIL Spring Seminar Series.  His talk, "Agile Views for Digital Video" will take place at 2:00pm in 3118 Computer Science Instructional Center (CSIC) on Tuesday, April 27th.

As always, this talk is *free* and registration is not required.

The abstract is below:
Gary Marchionini : "Agile Views for Digital Video"
The agile views interface design framework has been applied in a number of research and development settings. This talk will provide an overview of the framework and focus on its application to digital video retrieval as instantiated in the Open Video Project (http://www.open-video.org). Inspired by work at HCIL in creating dynamic query interfaces, we aim to define multiple views for information and provide agile control mechanisms for shifting attention among these views. Five genres of view may be brought into focus during information seeking. Overviews provide glimpses of collections and previews provide abbreviated glimpses of individual objects. Both overviews and previews provide "look ahead" functionality at different levels of granularity to help people make judgments before primary (complete object) views are displayed. Reviews provide historical information about the current or past searches or about a collection or object's history. Shared views leverage the skil!
 l and knowledge of other people. Any view can be active (in focus) at any time and those that are not active may be made apparent (peripheral) to provide context for the current focus. Dynamic mouse actions are used as control mechanisms to shift among the views easily. For video retrieval, we have focused our attention on creating a variety of visual surrogates to serve as views of the corpus, partitions of the corpus, and specific video segments. Especially for video, bringing primary views into focus is expensive because loading and processing these views (e.g., full video clips) demands considerable human attention time and system resources. Abstracts, summaries, and other surrogates are valuable because they lower attention time costs by informing decisions about whether to invest in processing the full object. In the Open Video Project we have developed and evaluated storyboards, fast forwards, and excerpts as surrogates. Textual metadata in previews, different overvi!
 ew options, and shared views (recommendations) are also available. Add
itionally, our series of user studies have led to a set of evaluation measures that serve to inform our understanding of how people seek and make sense of video content.

HCIL SYMPOSIUM AND OPEN HOUSE
Register now for the HCIL Symposium and Open House on June 3-4, 2004!  Information can be found at http://www.cs.umd.edu/hcil/soh .

INTERACTION DESIGN AND CHILDREN CONFERENCE
HCIL is co-sponsoring the IDC 2004 Conference on the UMCP campus June 1-3, 2004. Please check out the conference web site at http://www.idc2004.org for registration information.

We hope to see you at our upcoming events!

Sincerely,
Sharmon Kollet
HCIL