[Sigia-l] Voice recognition (was: Pillars of Ergonomics)

Livia Labate liv at livlab.com
Tue Apr 20 17:02:18 EDT 2004

: Our task was to suggest interface and structural changes to an
: existing system in order to reduce the number of fender-benders.
: (Livia's right - tactile is the way to go - unless you need to read
: an address. We incorporated sound alerts to supplement basic
: on-screen confirmations. Voice recognition, as an input device, was
: out of the question since foreign-born drivers speak oddly-accented
: Danish and cars are shared by several drivers over any given 24-hour
: period)

That sounds fascinating Eric. Re the difficulties with voice input for
non-native speakers, I remembered that folks have done a great job (in the
UK, I forget who right now), with elderly people (in phone applications
where they can order meds and services over the phone).

They have improved the voice recognition immensely (for automated menus) to
understand the very characteristic and 'oddly-accented' speeches of that
niche (which is made up of people with specific speech impairments due to
strokes, etc). Maybe something worth looking into.

I'll let you know when I find the reference (I saw their presentation at
CLIHC 2003 - Dr. Mary ******** .... Ring a bell anyone?)

-Liv