[Sigia-l] Are all employee web sites created equal?

anu gupta anu at gupta.co.uk
Tue Apr 20 05:32:31 EDT 2004

Listera wrote:

>As to why an HR site should be "standardized," my guess is that the reason
>is simple: money. They don't want to spend it.

Or maybe they don't understand the implications of a "standard" HR
intranet site/section.

Speaking as someone who spends a lot of time looking at and working with
HR intranet sites, it's like many other things really - at a very high
and essentially superficial level, HR intranet sites can be generalised:
employees are interested in money, career, health, work/life balance.
This is typically what the initial thoughts of, for example, HR depts
focus on.

The challenge is to get them to take the next step and realise that  how
the information is structured is still dependent on the company and
people within and how they react and respond to information ? Do they
see HR in terms of the above headings, or do they want, for example,
life-event driven architecture ? Of is all the information only relevant
in the context of total rewards, etc etc.

Now, it's not always because they're hostile to the above concepts that
they don't do it - they just  haven't realised there's another way. But
hey, that's what we're for, eh !!

anu