[Sigia-l] RE: Web Standards and I.A.s

Lyle_Kantrovich at cargill.com Lyle_Kantrovich at cargill.com
Wed Apr 7 00:24:54 EDT 2004

Christina said:
> Nothing to do with information architecture; a lot to do with
information
architects.

This was my first reaction to the question as well.  On further
reflection, I think that Web Standards have about as much (or less) to
do with Information Architecture *for Web sites* as electrical building
codes have to do with building a home - they may have some impact on
small aspects of a design (e.g. location of navigation or interaction
design of nav bars).  I think most aspects of an information system's
(or application's) IA aren't affected by Web Standards though.  Things
like taxonomy, labeling systems, metadata and search systems general
aren't addressed or impacted by Web Standards - in my experience.  Also
keep in mind Web Standards are only for Web...

Regards,

Lyle

----
Lyle Kantrovich
User Experience Architect

Croc O' Lyle - Personal Commentary on usability, information
architecture and design.
http://crocolyle.blogspot.com/

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication."
	- Leonardo da Vinci