[Sigia-l] Forcing practice

Whitney Quesenbery wq2 at sufficiently.com
Mon Sep 29 11:49:43 EDT 2003

At 10:38 AM 9/29/2003 -0500, Mike.Steckel at sematech.org wrote:
>Are you SURE you have to force them through a learning process? I also
>work with an extremely complex site and this would be strongly resented
>and people would probably just click through it as fast as they could.

I agree with the comments about forcing someone through a learning process.

However, if you made the tutorial useful, it might be well received. Can
you create something that actually captures some of the critical
information and drops it into the application at the right places. If you
could isolate the most common or serious errors, you could solve a lot of
problems by essentially creating an alternate universe to the unusable
application.

We once created a wizard to walk through a complex app, and found that
almost no one used the application - because the wizard was so much
easier....even though it was more screens and more steps. Effectiveness and
Ease of Learning trumped (false) Efficiency in this case.

Or, create a cheat sheet that points out the most common problems - could
be something that is distributed on paper, but is really a small on-screen
image that sits next to the application.

Is the business process complicated, or is the application complicated? Is
this one of those cases where the app's "mental model" makes a difficult
task worse?

And, question the concept that you can't change the application. Unless you
absolutely know what the problems are and where the errors occur, you may
need to do a little usability testing to understand why people have trouble
with the app. Think about what it will cost to create your training wheels,
vs. what it would cost/benefit to fix the real problem.

Whitney Quesenbery
Whitney Interactive Design, LLC
w. www.WQusability.com
e. whitneyq at wqusability.com