[Sigia-l] Corporate Blogging

Listera listera at rcn.com
Thu Sep 18 22:47:55 EDT 2003

"Eric Scheid" wrote:

> In the absence of any other information scheme, the only other option is to
> use search

Yeah, in the absence of the sun I wonder what our universe would look like.
What kind of straw man argument is that? This is the 21st century and there
*are* better tools available for archival retrieval than than looking at two
digits on a grid, providing zero cues wrt content. If the idea is to get
strangers to read what you write, the calendar is an idiotic tool, perhaps
only slightly better than a random-number generator.

> ... wonderful if you've got a relevant search technology, and if you know what
> you're looking for, lousy if you simply want to keep up to date on what's new.

I'm positive even you can can do better than that, Eric. :-)

> Maybe we'll never see the day arrive where creators of information exercise
> any due care or discipline.

Frankly, the calendar thingy in blogs was a combination of lazy programming
and greed. Blogger used to charge to get an archival listing other than the
calendar, which probably requires a single DB look-up for timestamps. How
lame is that?

Ziya
Nullius in Verba