[Sigia-l] Friday fun: Pad Thai IA

Listera listera at rcn.com
Thu Oct 16 21:54:28 EDT 2003

"Dahlgren, Kent" wrote:

> I can't stop reading the letters to the tune of "Mary had a Little Lamb."

Goes to show you: labeling is overrated. :-)

Speaking of things oriental, this reminds me of a passage from Borges quoted
by Foucault in the ŒThe Order of Things¹:

"a certain Chinese encyclopedia" in which it is written that "animals are
divided into:  (a) belonging to the Emperor, (b) embalmed, (c) tame, (d)
sucking pigs, (e) sirens, (f) fabulous, (g) stray dogs, (h) included in the
present classification, (i) frenzied, (j) innumerable, (k) drawn with a very
fine camel hair brush, (l) et cetera, (m) having just broken the water
pitcher, (n) that from a long way off looks like flies.²

----
Ziya

You must learn from the mistakes of others.
You can't possibly live long enough to make them all yourself.