[Sigia-l] Faceted approach applied to content

Donna M. Fritzsche donnamarie at amichi.info
Sun Nov 16 14:41:25 EST 2003

I would definitely agree, and as Marcia pointed out, as long as you
have flexible, modular underlying software, there is nothing keeping
you from browsing in the same manner that Travis and Marcia describe.

While, aesthetically pleasing, strict hierarchical classification
only make sense when its inherent to the content  for a given
context, or one needs to physically place the object in one place (as
in a library or store shelf or static browsing structure).  The
strength of dynamic software is that you can put object where you
need it (in a browsing structure), when you need it (because a user
followed a specific branch in a taxonomy.)

Of course, as Fred pointed out, care should be taken to make sure
your vocabularies aren't too fuzzy - you don't want unnecessary
overlap.

Donna