[Sigia-l] Faceted approach applied to content

Tanya Rabourn rabourn at columbia.edu
Sun Nov 16 14:12:52 EST 2003

> It's not a no-no; you should do whatever most clearly connects your users
> to the resources. But consider that you'd be defeating the purpose of
> faceted classification if you assign multiple values.

Are you sure about that, Travis? I'm under the impression that the
the mutual exclusivity rule means that you should never construct
a scheme where a value could exist under more than one
facet/attribute. Once you have a properly constructed scheme,
applying more than one value to the object you're indexing is
fine. I think Donna gave us an excellent example.

-Tanya
Tanya Rabourn <rabourn at columbia.edu>
[User Services Consultant]
AcIS R & D <www.columbia.edu/acis/rad>