[Sigia-l] Short Term freelance rates

Listera listera at rcn.com
Mon May 19 15:12:17 EDT 2003

"Rob Fitzgibbon" wrote:

> But doesn't $30/hr fulltime work translate to $60k USD a year?

No, it doesn't. First, You can't take a quoted contract rate and extrapolate
it linearly to annual salary. Second, if you are being engaged full-time for
a year or longer and still getting freelance status, the IRS would like to
hear from you and your employer. Third, your contract doesn't come with
allowances for insurance/benefits/self-promotion/transportation/etc which
you'll have to pay out of pocket. Etc. So the annualized contract rate
should be (significantly) higher than comparable staff salary figures.

> I'm sure many independent practitioners would consider this a good salary -
> just not the ones who live in expensive areas like San Francisco or New York!
> ;)

Or perhaps an excellent salary in India (Madhu can correct me on this),
which, at that rate, is where it may be heading :-)

Ziya
Nullius in Verba