[Sigia-l] Short Term freelance rates

Sean Lawerence slawrence at lucidvagary.com
Mon May 19 14:55:57 EDT 2003

Ah, but there are all those hiddens benefits that $30/ht wouldn't cover.

Highly subsidized health benefits: subrtract about $400+/month from your
wages
Payroll taxes are now on you to pay for both sides being employee and
employer when you are a contactor.
Vacation time, sick days, holidays, etc.
401k matching
Miscellaneous benefits from working for a company as a full-time employee.

Someone who makes $60k could bring home about $42k annually as a full-time
employee at a 30%  tax rate _and_ get time off, sickdays, healthcare, etc.
Someone working as a contractor for $30/hr 40 hours/week Would pay at least
38% in taxes and bring home about $37k per year not including healthcare,
days off, 401k matching, etc.

I'd personally rather make $50k on salary as a fulltimer than $30/hr as a
contractor.

My 2 cents,

Sean