[Sigia-l] Findability is dead, Long live ummm... PLEASURE

Christopher Fahey [askrom] askROM at graphpaper.com
Fri Mar 28 15:11:19 EST 2003

> I have long thought the three qualities an IA should work
> toward was findability, understandability and usability

These are great, but what about pleasure? As designers of information
spaces and interactive processes, shouldn't we be thinking about whether
or not the user is having fun?

I don't believe that succeeding in "findability, understandability, and
usability" automatically leads to an optimally pleasurable interface
(although failing in those qualities certainly can cause a lot of
pain!). As we see so often in so much of design and architecture,
efficiency often goes hand in hand with mind-numbing dullness, painful
soul-killing dullness. Making something efficient *and* pleasurable (or
elegant, fun, whatever you call it) takes extra work, and I think IAs
shouldn't settle for letting the graphic designers handle that part.

-Cf

[christopher eli fahey]
art: http://www.graphpaper.com
sci: http://www.askrom.com