[Sigia-l] Less Spatiality, More Semantics?

Donna M. Fritzsche donnamarie at oneimage.com
Tue Mar 25 13:38:19 EST 2003

Richard wrote:
>IMHO users interpret and infer the meaning of content within the context
>of their need or goal so i'm not sure of the distinction above.

Fair point--of course the context influences the meaning. But the
quote I was discussing:

>If, however, the "spatial" schemes have also been designed with User Tasks
>and Goals in mind then don't they, by definition, also approach things
>from a fairly "semantic" perspective?

  This to me is more primarily "task-based" with some semantic considerations.
Nothing wrong with that.    While I agree that spatial/hierarchical
schemes which take into account user tasks lend themselves to a more
clear interpretation by the user, I dont think that they are by any
means fully describing content in terms of meaning - which is why I
wouldn't call it a semantic perspective.

I think we are digressing into semantics... sigh.... :)

>I guess what i'm saying is that semantics are not just important to
>consider when creating organizational schemes - they're mandatory -
>without considering semantics (ie, the meaning your users will infer of
>your content) even your "spatial / hierarchial" schemes might fail.

I agree fully that semantics must be considered in creating
hierarchical schemes.

(not sure what you mean by "your" here, I wasn't specifically advocating
spatial/hierarchy over semantics.  (see earlier posts). I was
debating the use of
the term semantics to represent only the consideration of user needs.

I guess my point was that in order to get accurate semantics, many
factors, including the needs of the users should be considered when
determining what facets (attributes, properties, etc) should be
considered when trying to describe content - whether it be for a nav
taxonomy, search engine use, dynamic publishing, etc.

Thanks for the interesting discussion!

Maybe we agree  <more or less>.

Donna