[Sigia-l] Taxonomy/Classification IA and Enterprise IA

John O'Donovan jod at badhangover.net
Mon Mar 24 03:10:25 EST 2003

Hi Donna,

Thanks for your comments. The SMEF standard has been a good stake in the
ground for us at the BBC but there are other areas as well that have got
their head above water long enough to think at this level.

For example, in work I have done on Educational systems, I found good
emerging standards there for data interchange. E.G. SCORM:

http://www.adlnet.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=scormabt&cfid=204974&cftoken=3091
6792

The problem is competing standards in these areas and also ensuring lack of
bias towards aspects of the area under consideration (such as vendor
specific issues).

The metameta-model comes in when you have different metamodels to deal with,
providing a language and context in which to describe an infinite variety of
metamodels each with a different viewpoint. As you say, the level of
abstraction is important but it does not have to be exclusively object
oriented - relational data models also handle these structures well.

Cheers,

jod