[Sigia-l] Fwd: RE: Apple and Pears"

Livia Labate liv at livlab.com
Wed Mar 19 13:48:52 EST 2003

: I'd also suggest you consider the context for the
: five horrible months that killed us (late
: 2000-early 2001).  The economy slammed the wall,
: and Fortune 500s cut consulting budgets to the
: bone.  As a company that relied on Fortune 500
: clients, and that offered a still new, fuzzy, and
: ROI-caseless service, that's a pretty hard thing
: to survive.  We and other IA (and UX) firms
: were essentially the canaries in the coalmine at
: that time.  Not a fun place to be!  But that's
: life.

I don't wish to be repetitive, but this is a brilliant illustration the
source of our problem: not being able to sell Enterprise IA - Information
Architecture as strategic to businesses. If IA is not perceived as a
long-term, goal-impacting part of the organization, we will forever be doing
Project IA (punctual and operational - opposite to strategic) and will
always be the first ones to be cut out of any budgets.

Livia Labate
www.livlab.com | liv at livlab.com