[Sigia-l] Taxonomy/Classification IA and Enterprise IA

Chris Chandler chrischandler67 at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 19 11:09:13 EST 2003

"Chung, Hedahne"

> As for the "site map+interactivity" type IAs, to be honest, I see that sort
> of understanding being rolled out as part of a broader range of
> understanding by creative and business roles. I agree that someone needs to
> own that role and the documentation and leadership associated with it, but
> alot of visual designers, flash developers, front end QA, business analysts,
> content managers and the like also have the mindset/ aptitude for
> respecting, understanding and integrating the tasks/understandings
> associated with that particular type of IA.

Sure, and as I told a "content developer" the other day when I caught her messing around in Visio, I could do her job if
I wanted to. The other IA on my team used to work as a visual designer, so she could do the visual design part.

I don't think it's a matter of having the "aptitude."

I don't think it's about "owning the documents" either.
At one local web consulting company I recently worked at, the project managers made the site maps -- you would probably
not believe how low the budgets are for most movie web sites. Another content person told me the other day "oh, I used
to make wireframes when I was a product manager."

-cc