[Sigia-l] IA system components - add to the list!

Arno Reichenauer arno.reichenauer at web.de
Sat Mar 15 09:05:14 EST 2003

"Listera" wrote:

> "Arno Reichenauer" wrote:
>
> > That's because a quite settled understanding of
> > "architecture" has evolved.
>
> Then you haven't seen a few architects come to blows sitting in a room
> debating current trends in architecture, complete with disdain and insults
> or watch something like the drama around the architectural solutions
> proposed for the former World Trace Center. If you think architecture is
> "settled," I must say you have a very high tolerance for dogma.

Oh, come on Ziya, that's twisting my words.. I did not say there is a
*perfect definition* of how architectural solutions should look like nor
that there are no discussions among architects discussing *trends*. I said
there is a QUITE SETTLED UNDERSTANDING OF "ARCITECTURE" that has evolved,
which means that most people have the same in mind when asked what an
architect does: planning houses. That's it. You can always try to circle
around one point, but that doesn't advance the discussion, does it?

> Definition, like religion, often amounts to exclusion. I don't like it for
> the same reason that I'd find it objectionable if someone were to "define"
> what journalism is or what a journalist ought to do or how/what he should
> write or if a piece of writing was a journalistic product or what kind of
> license a journalist should carry.

I understand your point here, of course there is a chance of exclusion. But,
as I mentioned in an earlier post, 1)this is, implicitly, already the case
today (e.g., off-topic questions are referred to another list), and 2)there
is nothing wrong with exclusion as long as everything is included that
should be not excluded ;-) And that's what we should develop a common
understanding of. If the IA community refuses to do it, maybe somebody else
will some day ("No, sorry, that's not included in IA - that's ours")

As an IA, part of your (?) job is to decide what content goes together,
where, and how to label it. I wonder how you can stand this kind of making
decisions about including/excluding.. ;-)

Arno