[Sigia-l] IA system components - add to the list!

Arno Reichenauer arno.reichenauer at web.de
Fri Mar 14 20:03:37 EST 2003

"Listera" wrote:

> This is the problem with such (generalized) definitions, isn't it?
>
> It all depends on the level of knowledge and experience the poor gentlemen
> has with computers, web, abstract thinking, design, etc. The amount and
> breath of detail you'd need to supply would vary enormously if the person
> was utterly new to computers and/or the Internet vs. an office worker or a
> professional who has been exposed to them for some length.

Hm I think you're mixing something up. One thing is which words you use to
explain something (the amount of breadth and detail), the other thing is
what you are talking about. You're right, which words to choose and how to
put it would be different according to the level of experience the "poor
gentleman" has, but the content would still be the same: "see these little
squares with the names in it that you can move the mouse over and click to
get somewhere else? I did that." vs. "see the global navigation? I did
that."

> There's no alternative to considering the specificity of any given
project,
> client, situation, etc., as opposed to trying to fit them to a given (what
> can only be a generalized) definition/theory.

Of course, you always have to consider specificities of any given project. A
theory should not substitute that. As I previously mentioned, it enables you
to draw solutions from generalized knowledge (which of course always has to
be translated and specified to the problem at hand) and eases communication
both within the community and with clients.

But, Ziya, then let me once more rephrase my question for you: imagine that
I ask YOU what you have delivered in your recent projects. Or better,
imagine you asking yourself ;-)

Just for the moment, forget all the define-it-or-not stuff, let's just talk
about what you usually cover in your projects and what parts of the to-be
systems you developed. how about that?

Arno