[Sigia-l] RE: first principals

Philip Hall philipnhall at telus.net
Fri Mar 14 12:29:07 EST 2003

On Thursday, March 13, 2003, at 10:46 PM, Clifton Evans at Infostyling
wrote:
<snipped>

> You are right. In my humble opinion. IA is about retrieval.
>
> Except.. when..
>
> 1b. Information Architecture is primarily concerned with Information
> Dissemination.

The idea that "IA is about retrieval" even when, as in my case, most of
my work for clients is to help them to disseminate their info might be
a result of one small victory. Many of the orgs I work for seem to have
absorbed the notion that getting their information out there is no use
if no one can find it or use it. So, in that way, their dissemination
is someone else's retrieval and without that retrieval the
dissemination is of no value.

Cheers,
Phil.

Philip Hall