[Sigia-l] first principals

Richard_Dalton at vanguard.com Richard_Dalton at vanguard.com
Thu Mar 13 13:35:59 EST 2003

Marianne K Sweeny wrote:
> Finally, on the subject of findability. I believe that there
> is no such thing. Findability, as presented, would seem to be
> a inherent quality of information that it cannot possess. Romedi
> Passini introduced the concept of Wayfinding which is a inherent
> quality possessed by the user and is the means by which the user
> makes their way to a destination. See, we're not that far from
> the physical construct of architecture after all.

As with most things this depends on context. I agree that individual
pieces of information do not inherently have "findability" as an
attribute, however, I do believe the concept can be applied to
organizational systems and the pieces of information within them. Ergo a
piece of information within a system can be said to be "findable" if a
given user population with given user goal can find it.

 - Richard Dalton

P.S. See how well I resisted the temptation to talk about definitions? Oh
Damn.