[Sigia-l] first principals

Marianne K Sweeny sweeny48 at u.washington.edu
Thu Mar 13 12:24:50 EST 2003

Good Morning,

Ahhh another tantalizing shiny conversational bauble has drawn me out of my lurking cave.

Here is what I believe:
We will never "define" information architecture. This lingering conversational thread which dissipates only to rise again like one of those ubiquitous vampires on "Buffy" will never go away. This is because everyone has their own contextualized version of what they do or write about when they do or write about Information Architecture. Is there a reason that we cannot agree to disagree and move on to less nebulous, less aggravating, less open to mis-understanding conversations that will further, not mire, forward progress?

While I appreciate Christina's attempt to clarify who, what, and how information architecture is, like Jesse below, I have serious issues with some of what is written on those clay tablets from the mount. Again, can't we agree to disagree and move on. The list in #10 is woefully under represented by valued contributors to the field of information architecture and design before most of us where through with the senior prom.

Information architecture is being defined in graduate school all over the country. Look at the catalogue for any LIS or IS program worth its salt and you'll find IA in there. If a segment of the community feels a need for boundaries and labels, perhaps they should form a task force, loop in the academics, and go from there. Shoot us a mail when it is decided.

Finally, on the subject of findability. I believe that there is no such thing. Findability, as presented, would seem to be a inherent quality of information that it cannot possess. Romedi Passini introduced the concept of Wayfinding which is a inherent quality possessed by the user and is the means by which the user makes their way to a destination. See, we're not that far from the physical construct of architecture after all.

Now, back to the practice at hand.

Message: 11