[Sigia-l] date entry popups

Jon Hanna jon at spin.ie
Wed Mar 12 11:11:04 EST 2003

> We concluded (and this is up for discussion) that by adding an ALT text
> (which appears when a user, who does have images turned on, places their
> mouse pointer above the image) would inform the user what would happen if
> clicked

The infamous alt-as-tooltip is dying out. The title attribute will produce a
tooltip on the most commonly used graphical browsers; alt won't on one of
them (at least some builds of Mozilla). Even when the best alt text is also
the best title text I'd recommend using both attributes.

> 2) These are not concrete guidelines. In the sector I work in usability is
> not highly regarded - so defining something that designers /
> developers can
> easily apply and that is applicable to the majority of sites is my goal.
> They are not meant to stifle innovation or evolution.

Of course. I was wondering if you had looked specifically at the cases of
users who didn't use images, users who didn't use pop-ups (or more crucially
users who had difficulties when pop-ups were used), and the overlap between
them which is high.

Moving the focus of such users attention towards the <selects> and away from
the pop-up option seems like a good idea, and not rendering the link as text
seems a reasonable top-of-my-head solution. I was just wondering whether you
had disproven that.