[Sigia-l] date entry popups

Alex Bainbridge alex.bainbridge at travelucd.com
Wed Mar 12 10:25:17 EST 2003

Jon,

From: sigia-l-admin at asis.org [mailto:sigia-l-admin at asis.org]On Behalf Of
Jon Hanna

> I'm curious as to why you think one should bother with alt attributes if
you
> are using pop-ups.

I have 2 comments to add to this:

1) With the usability testing we conducted calendar popups were used on 6 of
the potential 16 occasions. We observed that when users did use a popup that
there was a lower potential for an incorrectly entered date.

We observed that, with our non-statistically significant group of users, it
was not obvious that clicking the icon made a calendar popup appear - or
that this would help them enter dates.

We concluded (and this is up for discussion) that by adding an ALT text
(which appears when a user, who does have images turned on, places their
mouse pointer above the image) would inform the user what would happen if
clicked

In particular - this is why we liked the ALT text that stated "Clicking this
launches a popup calendar which you can select your dates from"

2) These are not concrete guidelines. In the sector I work in usability is
not highly regarded - so defining something that designers / developers can
easily apply and that is applicable to the majority of sites is my goal.
They are not meant to stifle innovation or evolution.

The guidelines define a minimum acceptable standard - not the maximum
level - hopefully they can be improved upon over time! In particular your
comment about users with images turned off may be an area where improvement
can be made.

kind regards

alex

--
Alex Bainbridge
Senior Consultant

alex.bainbridge at travelucd.com
Company : http://www.travelucd.com/
Blog    : http://www.travelwebsitebuilder.com/

Travel UCD Limited : consultants in travel & hospitality website design

Fax         : +44 (0)23 8022 6833
Switchboard : +44 (0)845 130 3917      Monday to Friday : 8am - 7pm
                                       Saturday : 9am - 3pm

The information in this email is confidential. The contents may not be
disclosed or used by anyone other than the addressee. If you are not the
intended recipient, please notify us immediately at the above address. We
cannot accept any responsibility for the accuracy or completeness of this
message as it has been transmitted over a public network. Travel UCD Limited
has installed proprietary virus checking software on its system to check
that emails and attachments sent by it do not contain known viruses. However
Travel UCD Limited can give no warranty that this email is free from
infection by viruses or anything else that has contaminating or destructive
properties. Accordingly you should implement your own virus checking
procedures before opening this email and any attachments.