[Sigia-l] Re: Breadcrumbs

Jeff Lash jeff at jefflash.com
Tue Mar 11 18:51:08 EST 2003

I find it a bit strange that no one has yet mentioned Keith Instone's work
on breadcrumbs:
--> http://keith.instone.org/breadcrumbs/

(Maybe Keith isn't on the list any more, or maybe he's just to modest to
self-link.)

This was originally presented as part of the 2002 IA Summit, but more has
been added since then. Keith does a nice job of explaining the different
types of breadcrumbs and the good/bad things about each, and a lot of the
points that are being brought up here are included (and shown visually).

Something that Keith mentions, and that I've also observed in usability
testing since then:

People say they like breadcrumbs. People understand what they're there for.
People say they're useful. But people don't actually use them.

[Insert disclaimer about generalizing about a wide population based on some
observations and anecdotes.]

Also, from "Breadcrumb Navigation:  An Exploratory Study of Usage":

"This exploratory study was conducted to determine whether participants used
the breadcrumb trail as a navigational tool within a site. We found the
overall usage of the breadcrumb in site navigation to be low. Breadcrumb
users were not found to be more efficient than users who did not use the
breadcrumb. ... Although it would appear from past research that the
breadcrumb path aids the user in navigation efficiency and their place
within the site, our results did not find that to be the case."
--> http://wsupsy.psy.twsu.edu/surl/usabilitynews/51/breadcrumb.htm

I wouldn't suggest dropping everything and following this blindly, but it's
certainly worth reading and considering.

Enjoy,

Jeff (who actually really likes and encourages the use of breadcrumbs,
despite what the above may suggest)