[Sigia-l] The 3 Factors of I/A

jess at cognissa.com jess at cognissa.com
Thu Mar 6 11:20:46 EST 2003

>Maybe I am confused, but why can't a Granny Smith be with both Green
and with Apples?  (or fruit, or whatever)

Of course this isn't mutually exclusive.

>Shouldn't a person looking for images of green things be able to find a
Granny Smith as easily as a person looking for images of apples?

Yes. The point is that if a person is _only_ looking for something based on
color, then genus/species doesn't matter. Here's another example:

which belongs together: red apples, white roses, brown almonds, white
tulips.

Ask a botanist (user) and apples and roses and almonds belong together,
since they're in the same family.

Someone else might group the tulip and roses (flowers) and the almonds and
apples (food). But most floral shops don't sell apples.

And back to our stock photo site - we also might group on color, and add
white bread to white roses and tulips, and red roses to red apples.

The point isn't that these groups are mutually exclusive - just that some
of them only make sense in a certain context, for certain users. Without
understanding context and user goals, you can't make informed decisions
about similarity.

cheers,

Jess