[Sigia-l] The 3 Factors of I/A

Christer Clerwall christer.clerwall at kau.se
Thu Mar 6 11:06:45 EST 2003

Richard Wigel wrote:
> Maybe I am confused, but why can't a Granny Smith be with both Green
> and with Apples?  (or fruit, or whatever)
>
> Shouldn't a person looking for images of green things be able to find a
> Granny Smith as easily as a person looking for images of apples?
>
> Are they mutually exclusive?  Is IA so limited and constraining?
>
> Richard Weigel

As always the categories and strurcturing of information/nodes
should be adapted to the users' specifc tasks and goals, and if
we have an archive of photos then maybe different enterings to
the same "information" would be good idea. However, one must
remember that the idea of hierarchies is the "mutually exclusive"
categories and if the navigation system diverges from this concept
the user might get confused, and taken to the extreme the "hierarchy"
will soon be "dispersed".

Christer Clerwall
Ph. D candidate
Karlstad University, Sweden