[Sigia-l] love thy client (was Re: [Sigia-l] "Study: Content Management Tools Fail")

Nuno Lopes nbplopes at netcabo.pt
Mon Mar 3 12:05:45 EST 2003

Hi David,

David wrote inline with Christina.

>That being said, this feeling should be kept under wraps about any
>client by a consultant.

That is what I don't believe in for the sake of a good relationship. A
good consultant don't bash a costumer, he tries to understand him/she
and helps him to fulfill his goals according to the intent
(communication skills are of up most importance).  But how can a client
trust a consultant if he naturally wraps his own feelings about
something that he considers wrong? If a consultant need to say
something, think and say it in all fairness, but is good policy to say
it only when required (not too soon not too late). If done otherwise how
the client does know that is being understood? I believe that good
successful relationships are built on honesty and solid work. This is
what makes one trust another.

David wrote inline with me:

>Most clients are bureaucrats in the wrong hats given tasks they aren't
>qualified to do. Sorry (now that I'm not a consultant I can speak
freely). >Top that off w/ an inability to articulate anything about
their problems >and that is what you get.

Humm be careful, you are a vendor so not off the hook as far as clients
are concerned. What you have written can be interpreted as some
Documentum people sometimes license products to clients while not
understanding their requirements just to make a buck :) But I know what
you mean and what your intent is by what you have written in all the
post.

But nevertheless some consultants, especially in the top Consultant
companies are symptomatic of that too. I've worked with them both as a
vendor and as a consultant. It is impressive how a young kid with 23
years old with almost no experience already knows how to behave
cynically like a top business person before knowing what he should
really know (but it is just behavior juice).

The report (starting thread post) states:

"Close to one-third (27 percent) said they had so many problems they
would "build another system from scratch."

27%? What a waste of time and money. More critical even, IMO, an
opportunity for success was lost (if there was a strong word like
genocide to money and success like there is to life I would use it in
this case).

Best regards,

Nuno Lopes