[Sigia-l] CASE Tools (was Word HTML - money were my mouth is (was When Should a Manual be Web-based?))

John O'Donovan-INTERNET john.odonovan at bbc.co.uk
Sun Mar 2 13:47:27 EST 2003

>> Does it make sense to use a CASE tool if your developers aren't?

Just to add, I would also say that the real value of CASE tools is not in
the development of code, but in gathering together and managing your
requirements.

I've spent a lot of time doing systems and business analysis and it brings a
little tear to my eye when I see the pain that people go through to maintain
documentation based in word. Just for your own personal sanity these tools
will save you from bad hair days. They also help teams work together.

Put it another way, and you have to wonder how many specifications get
updated to fully reflect the current project thinking and to map identically
to what wsa actually delivered. If you have ever had to update a complex
spec it is a painful process and it is very easy for the spec to become out
of synch with the implementation or the delivered system. This is the
equivalent of driving blindfolded without knowing where you are going.

Cheers,

jod

BBCi at http://www.bbc.co.uk/

stated.