[Sigia-l] Hmmmm (IA/interaction)

Sean Lawrence slawrence at lucidvagary.com
Fri Jun 27 09:35:05 EDT 2003

 Derek wrote:

> It follows from this that, as humans, consumers desire nothing because
> it is deemed good (i.e. to "create an image of what people should do")
> -- but on the contrary -- consumers deem a thing good *because* they
> endeavor, will, seek, or desire it (i.e. "self-preservation" at work).

I would agree with this statement if by self-preservation you mean something
more inclusive than just pure survival but rather also include the notion of
the self as a fluid, dynamic social entity.  In other words in order to
maintain a certain persona, people feel there is utility in buying a certain
brand because it ensures the preservation of their status in their peer
group.