FW: [Sigia-l] IA/interaction of Location (was dream career advice)

David Heller hippiefunk at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 26 16:59:45 EDT 2003

There is an interesting article on Boxes & Arrows about the psychology of
location privacy in a service used in Europe & Israel that allows cellphone
users in the service to actually know someone's location.

To take the iChat (did apple buy iChat the company?) model that Ziya
described earlier and add to it, not only will it tell me availability of
service and components that I can use, but also where I am physically
located. That is what "FriendZone" does (the phone service mentioned above).

Before people start screaming "privacy violation" they have all kinds of
privacy management tools, but have found that the audience Yound Adults and
Teens does seem to use them, and when asked the reason was not that they
couldn't figure out how to use them, but that they didn't care. Now for a
more generic tool like iChat I would mind if it gave my GPS position, but I
wouldn't mind if it gave my metro area or even neighborhood information, or
information that I put in the preferences on each desktop and device I use
w/ the iChat service for a given handle.

Anyway, I recommend the article @ B&A (www.boxesandarrows.com).

-- dave