[Sigia-l] Applying Information Foraging Models

Victor Lombardi victorlombardi at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 25 20:22:00 EDT 2003

I've only made it part way through the literature so
far, but I don't expect to see information foraging
explained as a design approach. What I've read
examines use of artifacts to determine if foraging is
a suitable model to explain user behavior. It's
grounded in psychology (not, um, philosophy),
particularly the workings of memory, and so the
experiments result in conclusions about users, not
design practice.

That said, one could reverse their ideas and apply the
concepts to design. For example, the idea that we form
associations in memory that are related to the
probabilities of word occurences and word
co-occurences could be used to create labels. There
are databases of these occurences, such as the Tipster
corpus. I don't know of anyone who has tried this yet.

Victor

=====