[Sigia-l] Applying Information Foraging Models

Peter Merholz peterme at peterme.com
Wed Jun 25 11:14:22 EDT 2003

SIGIA-Ellers--

So, I've been looking at information foraging research and studies to see if
I could apply them to some real-world problems.

A great overview of IF research has been put together by Victor:
<http://tinyurl.com/f8cy>

While I appreciate what the basic models offer in terms of explaining user
behavior ("patches" of information, weighing of "costs", the influence of a
strong "scent"), I'm having trouble in getting it to make sense for me in
practical terms. As in, how can I utilize this in my practice? (Without
expensive computer simulations of user behavior...)

Have folks on the list attempted utilizing IF techniques, approaches, and
models? Or thought about how to do so feasibly?

Thanks,

--peter