[Sigia-l] Findability

Karl Fast karl.fast at pobox.com
Sun Jul 20 08:31:33 EDT 2003

> | [Google] may ignore externally applied meta-tags, | but they add
> their own meta-data, and rely on it | extensively. Maybe you've
> heard of it, they call it | "page rank"

Yes, there are two types of metadata.

The first is manually applied, or imposed.

The second is derived through some algorithm.

In my experience librarians usually don't talk about this
distinction very much. They tend to be more interested in the
imposed metadata and dismissive of algorithms. After all, how can
some algorithm compete with the human brain?

When librarians classify metadata they tend to classify it based on
purpose (for retrieval, for administration, etc.) instead of on how
it's generated.

--karl