[Sigia-l] Re: notification schema?

Listera listera at rcn.com
Wed Jul 9 13:38:24 EDT 2003

"joe" wrote:

>> It's a "pull" system in that a client has to request to see what's changed,
>> but it'd be trivial to poll often via automation to make it look like a
>> continuous "push."
> Unfortunatley, that's a major problem with us. Users need to set their
> preferences for the things they want to be notified about.

I thought I mentioned how to do this in my previous post, but I'll spell it
out one last time.

Web Page #1

Have all your options/preferences as checkmarks.

[  x ] I want to know whenever JLo sneezes.
[  x ] Let me know when the war is over
[     ] How the Knicks are doing
[  x ] Did the boss say anything new?

Button

(  ) Set Prefs {Link to Page #2}

Web Page #2

See the results.

Section: The universe of JLo
        Item
        Item
        Item
Section: War & Peace
        Item
        Item
        Item
Section: Bossman
        Item
        Item
        Item

Buttons

( ) Update Now
( ) Update every [   ] minutes

> Email works, RSS is "in flux," so RSS is out as viable solution. That's just
> us.

RSS works pretty much as well as email. I can probably cite more potential
problems/issues with email than w/ RSS.

Ziya
Nullius in Verba