R: [Sigia-l] CMS and IA

David Heller hippiefunk at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 29 18:11:33 EST 2003

Ziya, that was a pretty good straight man.

I think you are missing some of the primary purposes of a CMS, which is
repository centralization, validation & the ability to audit against
that validation, and business process and the ability to strictly and
centrally control that business process. None of this can be done within
the OS or the content creation app, unless either or both of these
become a CMS. CMSs are attempting to integrate w/ both the OS and the
content creation apps, but not the other way around so much. I don't see
the OS being able to make up this stuff at all with the level of variety
and scale necessary by today's current CMSs. The sheer customization
model in place among attributes is so tremendous. Who/what manages
relation types? Taxonomy management? Remember most people are not a
one-person show and need to work in a very controlled and structured
environment which they are ill-equipped to do themselves both
technically and from a tools perspective (this is true for a very long
time to come).

-- dave