[Sigia-l] Findability

Laura Norvig lauran at etr.org
Sun Jan 26 16:02:09 EST 2003

I was partially responding to your assertion that "free" was the best
part. I think "free" was almost incidental - the appeal lay in so
many other things, and the fact that no alternative existed, because
the traditional music industry didn't, and still doesn't, have a clue
as to how to offer something comparable while respecting some modicum
of copyright and getting artists and writers their due compensation.

One of the key appeals was the sense of connecting with a community
of listeners.

Search in Napster worked well enough (until the lawsuits caused
uploaders to bastardize the spelling of popular artists and songs)
that I did not miss categorization. Music categorization is fraught
with difficulty anyway. Where are the lines between "alt-country"
"folk" "americana"? What category would you put someone like Ben
Harper in? Eclectic artists suffer un-findability. I'm not saying
categorization isn't useful for some types of users, but most
discerning listeners know what artists they're looking for - they get
recommendations for new stuff from friends, not from browsing
categories.

I don't use Napster anymore because it doesn't really exist, does it?
I don't know if Kaazaa has this feature.

-Laura