[Sigia-l] Findability

Chris Chandler chrischandler67 at earthlink.net
Sun Jan 26 15:44:15 EST 2003

"Laura Norvig" wrote:

> I thought the coolest (most pleasurable and useful?) thing about
> Napster was when I found a song I liked and then was able to browse
> the library of the person who had that song. Many wonderful
> serendipitous expansions of my musical tastes were the result.

Interesting point Laura. I had to go back and make sure I had mentioned that Napster did allow for some, limited
browsing.

That feature is a 'primitive' (or 'pure' I suppose) version of collaborative filtering, which was the technology I
alluded to as an example of browsing without predetermined categories.

But let me ask you this -- since the portion of my post you responded to had more to do with the "free" aspect of the
Napster resources:

Did you really mean you thought that browsing other people's collections was the "most" pleasurable/useful aspect? If
so, are you still using that aspect of Napster? Why not?

-cc