[Sigia-l] moderation (of various sorts)

Boniface Lau boniface_lau at compuserve.com
Tue Jan 21 20:33:45 EST 2003

> From: sigia-l-admin at asis.org [mailto:sigia-l-admin at asis.org]On
> Behalf Of Madhu Menon

[...]
> I dislike moderated lists because a list that needs moderation, to
> me, says that the members can't be trusted to follow mailing list
> etiquette.

When I first posted to CHIWEB, I did not pay much attention to the
fact that it was a moderated list. But after I sent the following
CHIWEB message:

    http://www.acm.org/archives/wa.cgi?A2=ind0001A&L=chi-web&P=R1635

I got back the following from a CHIWEB moderator:

WH> I have approved this posting, but I wanted to mention that to me
WH> it does have a slightly aggressive tone in places.
WH>
WH> In particular, I think that you could have omitted your last
WH> paragraph:
WH>
WH> > Your above "yes" answer doesn't mean much to me unless I know
WH> > your definition of interface.
WH>
WH> You have already asked him for his definition of interface, and
WH> while your statement is factually correct, it is the sort of thing
WH> that raises the emotive temperature.  (I think that the issue is
WH> that you are pointing out his failure to communicate effectively
WH> with you.)

That reminded me of the ridiculous implication of participating in a
moderated list.

Moderating a list implies that its members should be treated like
children.

Boniface