[Sigia-l] Findability

Derek R derek at derekrogerson.com
Tue Jan 21 00:39:32 EST 2003

>>| 'Findability' offers *no consideration*
>>| of the user
>|
>| Huh?
>|
>| I don't know where you get this idea from?

Eric, you and I both know the above idea is the fully-developed central
theme of post you are quoting from -->
http://www.info-arch.org/lists/sigia-l/0301/0274.html

These 'I-know-you-are-but-what-am-I' tactics are unlikely to save the
sinking-ship 'findability.' That boat never floated. You will have to do
better than that.

>| Much of the efforts of IA are driven
>| by UCD... contextual inquiry, card
>| sorting, affinity diagrams, user-profiles,
>| personas...

I am aware of this relationship which, of course, is the reason I am
attracted to IA in the first place. However, the philosophy of
'findability' *sells-out* and abandons these user-centered processes.
Why do you think I am so upset? If you want to practice 'marketing,' why
didn't you just say so in the first place?

>| 'Findability' is one of the goals or
>| objectives of IA work. There are other
>| objectives too.

Eric, you and I both know that this is untrue. Stop lying to people.
Everyone on this list knows where the concept of 'findability' comes
from and how it is a **central and founding philosophy** of certain
'alleged' IAs and their cabal-like organizations -->
http://www.aifia.org/pg/about_aifia.php
-- and -- how the concept of 'findability' was a hoped-for harbinger for
a series of new 'sellable' books for its creators (and peripheral
trade-show-appearances/job-funnels for the principal's friends - $$$)

Let's dispense with the bull, shall we? That is both unseemly and
unprofessional. We all know where you are coming from and whose payroll,
so to speak, you are on -->
http://www.aifia.org/pg/people.php

Knowing all this, it should be very clear to everyone here *who* will
stand to gain from the 'marketing' of such a lousy concept like
'findability.' Information Architecture, however, will ultimately lose
if 'findability' realizes any gains because -- 1) 'findability' is
easily dismissed for being so lousy -- 2) business already has trained
marketing staff -- and 3) people don't like being lied to.

This last point is at the core of my dissatisfaction with 'findability'
as a concept. 'Findability' is clearly a preclusion to fanaticism and
the burlesque. If one were to ever put 'findability' into practical
situations as a governing mechanism, it would be quickly 'found out' (to
speak ironically) and *dumped* like every other piece of spam,
'golden-ticket,' and the latest 'Internet Bubble.' Worse, these are
*enduring* stigmas (i.e. people don't soon forget being 'had') which
hurts all of us.

Users are not the dumb-puppets Steve Krug's marketing message would like
you to believe. Clients are not stupid either. I hope IAs will *get
wise,* recognize this for themselves, and begin -- in earnest -- to look
at their discipline and what it genuinely has to offer without resorting
to fairy-tale short-cuts.