[Sigia-l] Why Good Content Must Suck: Designing for the Scent of Information - Jared Spool

George Olsen george.olsen at pobox.com
Mon Jan 13 03:53:14 EST 2003

On 1/12/03 3:45 PM, "christina wodtke" <cwodtke at eleganthack.com> wrote:
> As for the dark nature of IA, I think you are referring to our evil twin,
> persuasive architecture.

> I'd love to hear what the community at large thinks of this new movement.

New buzzword, old concept.

It's been around since folks first started doing marketing or selling stuff
on the web. I used "persuasive architecture" on my first site back in 1995.

And needless to say, rhetoric's been around for a long time -- with fretting
over it's morality going back to the Greeks.

But as has been noted, something can only be enticing if it's relevant to
me. No matter how persuasive that link for ham sandwiches is, Orthodox Jews
just aren't likely to click on it.

Which is why the whole field of "account planning" developed within the
advertising and marketing field. It's actually fairly similar "our" user
research, although it also focuses on emotional desires and triggers.

There's actually a lot we could learn from this field. We can get some
focused on functionality and efficiency that we forgot about satisfying, let
alone memorable.