[Sigia-l] Use cases and user centric design (was sitepath diagramming)

Katherine Marshak katherine.marshak at iconmedialab.com
Mon Jan 6 11:50:45 EST 2003

My company has also struggled with the relationship between use cases,
user-centered design, and IA-driven approaches. I've used use cases
since the mid-90s and know their strengths & weaknesses very well.
Anytime you bring together people from different disciplines together to
solve a single problem you get great ideas but also competing
perspectives. We've found a way to balance these different perspectives.

Briefly, we use a variety of requirements elicitation & user research
techniques to inform the development of both a use case model and a site
map early in the project. We often develop personas to supplement actor
descriptions. (Actors are part of the use case approach. Actors
represent the roles that people & systems play in relation to the
application/site being developed.) We complement the use case model and
specifications with wireframes and navigation diagrams. We strive to
keep user interface details out of the use cases so they focus on
functionality. This gives us flexibility to improve the interface and
interaction design without changing the underlying requirements.

Details are at http://www.iconprocess.com/iconProcess/ueWorkflow.php.

I also wrote a white paper explaining the common ways people misuse use
cases. The paper is available from the home page: www.iconprocess.com.

best regards,
Kathy Marshak, senior consultant
IconMedialab | www.iconmedialab.com