[Sigia-l] "vignette story (was Study: Content Management Tools Fail)"

Todd R.Warfel lists at mk27.com
Fri Feb 28 10:10:25 EST 2003

This really has less to do with a CMS' capability to do this type of
editing than it has to do with a user's typical workflow. Most
"business users" are used to doing content in Word. So, while many CMS
applications allow for creation and editing of content, most users, in
my experience, do it in a more familiar application (e.g. Word).

We're currently using FatWire's UE as our CMS at Cornell. And while UE
has a WYSIWYG editor for formatting text that is based on Word's API,
and essentially mirrors Word, we find most people using Word to create
content, track changes, then paste into the CMS.

In Academia, users tend to be a bit more reluctant to upgrade and
change their environment that in tech-based companies.

On Friday, February 28, 2003, at 09:51 AM, Karl Fast wrote:

> Yes, this was three years ago and Vignette has probably improved
> it's editing tools in the interim. However, I would be willing to
> bet that lots of Vignette customers still use Word, route documents
> by email, and then cut-n-paste as needed.

Cheers!

Todd R. Warfel

_//message first [method second]
User Experience Architect