[Sigia-l] Re: Sigia-l digest, Vol 1 #432 - 22 msgs

Andrew H Otwell andrew at heyotwell.com
Fri Feb 28 09:21:05 EST 2003

On 2/27/03 9:13 PM, "sigia-l-request at asis.org" <sigia-l-request at asis.org>
wrote:

>> a) "It is impossible for a vendor to know YOUR requirements."
>>
>> With proper product management (talking to customers, reading the market),
> the vendor >should< know your requirements and built a
>> product or platform that meets those requirements.
>
> Hogwash.
>
> In fact, I would argue that the main reason that CM tools fail is not
> because of some inherent problem with content management, but because
> businesses do a poor job of understanding their own requirements.

Well, it's probably a case of both being true. Many vendors simply say (or
think): "we'll build what you say you need, so give us your requirements."
If those requirements suck, or are contradictory, or lack crucial
information, well too bad.

Many clients say (or think), we're paying all this money so that we can wash
our hands of the responsibilities and difficulties of this whole process.
Surely if something important needs to go into the requirments, the vendor
will tell us. Surely the vendor will guide us the right way.

Many companies and people fear spending too much time examining a system or
workplace that's probably held together with twine and tape anyway. Many
vendors and consultants want to be seen as providing solutions, with little
risk or threat, and so also don¹t bother digging into the situation too
deeply.

I can only assume it works this way in non-IT spheres: politics, academia,
sports, whatever.

andrew