[Sigia-l] "Study: Content Management Tools Fail"

Andrew H Otwell andrew at heyotwell.com
Fri Feb 28 09:12:01 EST 2003

On 2/27/03 9:13 PM, "sigia-l-request at asis.org" <sigia-l-request at asis.org>
wrote:

> The report found the bulk of companies surveyed felt they overspent on
> content management platforms, and the tools in those platforms are
> under-deployed. Sixty-one percent of the surveyed companies said they still
> rely on manual processes to update their Web sites.

It's totally consistent with everything I've seen at clients and companies.
One client installed a million-dollar Vignette system that was so complex
and non-functional they had to hire a small staff to take over all content
entry.

They went from having multiple departments maintaining reasonably integrated
sections of the site on their own schedules, to having five people
responsible for maintaining the site and being weeks behind schedule all the
time. They got none of the personalization, search features, or version
tracking that was promised. (They subsequently sued Vignette.) They didn't
even have the capacity to lock content when someone was editing it!

Andrew