[Sigia-l] "Study: Content Management Tools Fail"

Boniface Lau boniface_lau at compuserve.com
Thu Feb 27 20:49:10 EST 2003

> From: sigia-l-admin at asis.org [mailto:sigia-l-admin at asis.org]On
> Behalf Of Listera
>

> "Livia Labate" wrote:
>
> > Like you said, impunity will always shield the problem.
>
> Well, going a step forward, without placing the "blame" squarely
> where it belongs, the individuals (and the organization as a whole)
> don't learn.

But the system established within an organization can learn.

> > I am not going to consider those that don't give a damn about
> > their job. I am talking about the ones that are trying to do a
> > good one.
>
> What about the well-meaning ones who are simply incompetent or
> inexperienced and thus unqualified for their positions? Why give
> them a pass?

It was the system that allowed the incompetent or inexperienced to
make decisions that they were not qualified to make.

> > The answer (in this context of course) is in knowing what you ask
> > for and making sure it is delivered. If you work towards that goal
> > you will not waste time looking for people to blame.
>
> The organization/company (the 'injured' party here) should look for
> the target of the blame. For its own good. Those that don't do an
> adequate post-mortem (which involves blame apportioning) will fail
> to learn.

Better to get the system to learn. After all, people come and go, but
the system stays behind.

BTW, blame implies that someone intended to do something bad. But it
could be simply a case of incompetent.

Boniface